Pros and Cons of Social Media

Social media is a very controversial topic in today's society. Some people think there's more good than bad and some people think there's more bad than good. The PRO social media fact I chose was that social media can empower individuals to make social change and do social good on a community level. Yes a lot of people use social media in a very negative way but it can also be used in ways to promote positive things. This pro is important because I think it sheds a light on the positive things even when faced with negative situations. An example would be that cancer is a disease that takes the lives of some many people and tortures the families of victims who have cancer but to shed a light on that situation is an app called facebook. Facebook has this method that when it's your birthday you can create a fundraiser to support a cause you care about and facebook will take care of the donation processing so you could make a fundraiser for cancer to try and raise money to find a cure.

The CON social media fact I chose was that social media can harm students chances of college admissions. What I think this means is you never know if the stuff you posted on social media is ever going to be brought back up again. Anything posted on the internet is there forever and I think a lot of don't take that seriously enough. Colleges like to have a good image and while applying for schools you might be the best student ever but if they go through your social medias and see content they don't approve of it can affect whether or not you get into that school or not. I just think this is really important because I don't think people take what they post on social media seriously enough and don't realize it could affect the school you get into or the job you get, basically your future.

Comments

  1. I really like the point you brought up about facebook having the fundraisers for birthdays. I also think that's a really cool way to bring awareness to different organizations and an awesome way to raise money. The Con part about students maybe not getting into college because of things you have posted online. I've never really thought about the consequences like that. That was a really good point.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment